Special rules - Remission requirements
The following special rules and requirements for remission apply to all Austrian-, EU- and EEA citizens as well as to Third Country nationals that comply with the provisions applicable to those mentioned under the section "International Degree Students" and "Students from Southeastern Europe" which have a status equivalent to that of Austrian citizens.
- Applicants must submit proof issued by authorities similar to the requested Austrian authorities.
- Please note: Submitted documents that are not issued originally in German or English have to be translated by a sworn translator. In this case, you need to submit a copy of the original document as well as its translation.
Authenticity of the copies of the submitted documents will be verified randomly! We would like to draw your attention to the fact that according to § 92 item 6 of the Universities Act 2002, any student submitting false or incomplete evidence in documentation in order to surreptitiously obtain remission, will have to pay back the double amount of the fee, notwithstanding criminal prosecution.
Special rules regarding the tuition fee apply to the following circumstances:
- Care Responsibilities
- Mobility programmes
- Military service or alternative civilian service
- Pregnancy / illness
- Student grants
- Employed doctoral students
Students do not have to pay tuition fees for the duration of their studies, providing their handicap is classified as being at least 50% according to the specifications of applicable Federal law. For administrative reasons it is only possible to hand in an applciation for remission after the minimum study duration plus tolerance semesters.
- Handicapped ID of Federal Department of Social Services (Bundessozialamt)
ATTENTION ATTENTION ATTENTION
The constitutional tribunal revoked §92 Abs. 1 Z 5 UG 2002 due to unconstitutionality. This decision comes effective with 30.06.2018. Therefore, an application of remission of the tuition fee based on employment is no longer possible!
If you have to look after children up to the age of 7, or in the event of their later entrance into primary school, your tuition fee will be remitted for the duration of this period of childcare.
- child's birth certificate
- student's residence registration form
- child's residence registration form (the child's address must be the same as the student's address)
- student's affidavit stating that the child is mostly cared for by the student
In case of having the main responsibility to care for example for a close relative, the tuition fee can be remitted for the time of the caretaking.
- Sufficient evidence to proof the care responsibilities are for example the Handicapped ID of the person that is being taken care of, confirmation issued by a doctor,
- residence registration form of the applicant and the person that is being taken care of,
- as well as a statutory declaration that the applicant has to attend to a person in his/her care.
Students who are able to prove that they have completed courses or internships within the scope of mobility programmes are entitled to remission of tuition fees. The duration of their tuition fee free period is extended by the number of semesters spent abroad within these mobility programmes.
You have to apply for remission as soon as you have to pay tuition fees in case you have been abroad within the scope of a mobility programme! UNIGRAZonline does not automatically check for a possible remission!
Military service or alternative civilian service
ATTENTION ATTENTION ATTENTION
The exemption for military service or alternative civilian service can no longer be applied for due to the new Tuition Fee Regulation that is in effect with summer semester 2020.
Pregnancy / illness
If students are not able to attend their study programme for at least 2 months within a semester because of pregnancy or illness, the tuition fee can be remitted for the relevant semester. The leave period has to consist of at least two consecutive months.
Students who have already received a grant for the previous semester according to the Student Grants Act 1996, Federal Law Gazette no. 305/1992, or who are currently receiving such a grant may apply for remission of tuition fees.
- Notification of Study Grant
Remission for employed doctoral students
Starting from the summer semester 2023, doctoral students who are employed by the university and are completing their doctoral studies will have the opportunity to be exempted from paying tuition fees.
For this purpose, an application must be submitted semester by semester. Before submitting an application, it is necessary to obtain confirmation from the supervisor of the dissertation and the HR department. See pre-made form. Only after all signatures are on the form an application is possible.
Attention: A remission of the tuition fee is possible until February 28/29 at the latest for a summer semester and until September 30 at the latest for a winter semester. If it is not possible to file a remission within the deadline, the prescribed contribution must be paid within the deadline.
Applications can be submitted directly via the Uni Graz Online Point "Online Applications Academic Affairs".
An application prior to the summer semester 2023 is not possible.
Proof: printed form