The medium of instruction at the University of Graz is mostly German. In order to get enrolled to study programmes with German as mediom of instruction, a German C1 language level certificate (according to CEFR) is required. Which certificates are accepted can be found below under "Language of Instruction German".
In case you are not able to provide a C1 language certificate at the time of the application for admission, you have to provide a language certificate of at least A2 level in order to be allowed to hand in an application. Which certificates are accepted can be found below under "A2 German language certificate for applying".
This means different language certificates are acceptable for the application for admission (=handing in the application form) and for the enrollment into the regular study programme.
For study programmes offered in English a English language certificate has to be handed in. More information about which study programmes are offered in English and which language certificates are accepted can be found under "Language of Instruction English".
Due to a new law becoming effective in the summer semester 2019, you have to have a German language knowledge of AT LEAST level A2 (according to CEFR) in order to be allowed to apply for a study programme.
Beside the below mentioned C1 German certificates (according to CEFR), we accept the following certificates:
- ÖSD A2 or a higher level (Österreichisches Sprachdiplom) or
- Goethe Zertifikat A2 or a higher level or
- DSD1 or a higher level (Deutsches Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz)
- ÖIF Test Neu A2 (Österreichischer Integrations Fond) or
- Integrationsprüfung A2 or
- DTÖ A2 (Deutsch Test für Österreich) or
- Certificate about A2 level issued by an Austrian University Preperatory Programme (Vorstudienlehrgang)
The certificates/diplomas 1 - 6 must not be older than 2 years.
Please hand in the proof of your German language knowledge with your application!
German language knowledge on level C1 (according to CEFR) is required to start study programmes taught in German.
The German language knowledge can be provided by:
- an Austrian secondary school leaving certificate (Matura) or
- an equal secondary school leaving certificate from abroad with German as language of instruction on Matura Level (Austrian or German school abroad) or
- 8 consecutive years of the subject German in High School or
- 4 consecutive years of the subject German on the secundary level in High School or
- an abroad completed study programme completely taught in German or
- Ergänzungsprüfung Deutsch (EPD) at Vorstudienlehrgang der Grazer Universitäten und Hochschulen (prerequisite for participating in the EPD is an admission at the University) or at another Austrian Vorstudienlehrgang or
- ÖSD C1 (Österreichisches Sprachdiplom Deutsch) or
- Goethe-Zertifikat C1 or
- DSH2 (Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang) or
- DSD2 (Deutsche Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz)
The certificates (7.-10) must not be older than 2 years at the time of the application. All parts of the examination have to be passed on C1 level.
The above mentioned certificates can only be handed in with your application!
Once you have been admitted without C1 language level, we exclusively accept the EPD certificate - it is no longer possible to hand in a German certificate on C1 level (ÖSD, DSD, DSH, Goethe). This means it is not possible to be enrolled as an irregular student at the uiversity and participate in an exam other than the EPD (f.e. ÖSD). Please know that if you do not participate in the offered preperatory course(s) at the Vorstudienlehrgang, you might lose your residence permit (according to the Austrian regulation of foreign law).
More Information about the enrollment process with supplementary examinations (including the EPD) can be found here.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 9 am - 12 pm
Wednesday 2 pm - 4 pm
(Wednesdays is closed during semester breaks and days when courses and exams are not being held)