The medium of instruction at the University of Graz is mostly German. In order to get enrolled to study programmes with German as mediom of instruction, a German C1 language level certificate (according to CEFR) is required. Which certificates are accepted can be found below under "Language of Instruction German".
In case you are not able to provide a C1 language certificate at the time of the application for admission, you have to provide a language certificate of at least A2 level in order to be allowed to hand in an application. Which certificates are accepted can be found below under "A2 German language certificate for applying".
This means different language certificates are acceptable for the application for admission (=handing in the application form) and for the enrollment into the regular study programme.
For study programmes offered in English a English language certificate has to be handed in. More information about which study programmes are offered in English and which language certificates are accepted can be found below under "Language of Instruction English".
Due to a new law becoming effective in the summer semester 2019, you have to have a German language knowledge of AT LEAST level A2 (according to CEFR) in order to be allowed to apply for a study programme.
Beside the below mentioned C1 German certificates (according to CEFR), we accept the following certificates:
- ÖSD A2 or a higher level (Österreichisches Sprachdiplom) or
- Goethe Zertifikat A2 or a higher level or
- DSD1 or a higher level (Deutsches Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz)
- ÖIF Test Neu A2 (Österreichischer Integrations Fond) or
- Integrationsprüfung A2 or
- DTÖ A2 (Deutsch Test für Österreich) or
- Certificate about A2 level issued by an Austrian University Preperatory Programme (Vorstudienlehrgang)
The certificates/diplomas 1 - 6 must not be older than 2 years.
Please hand in the proof of your German language knowledge with your application!
German language knowledge on level C1 (according to CEFR) is required to start study programmes taught in German.
The German language knowledge can be provided by:
- an Austrian secundary school leaving certificate (Matura) or
- an equal secundary school leaving certificate from abroad with German as language of instruction on Matura Level (Austrian or German school abroad) or
- an abroad completed study programme completely taught in German or
- Ergänzungsprüfung Deutsch (EPD) at Vorstudienlehrgang der Grazer Universitäten und Hochschulen (prerequisite for participating in the EPD is an admission at the University) or at another Austrian Vorstudienlehrgang or
- ÖSD C1 (Österreichisches Sprachdiplom Deutsch) or
- Goethe-Zertifikat C1 or
- DSH2 (Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang) or
- DSD2 (Deutsche Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz)
The certificates (5.-8.) must not be older than 2 years at the time of the application.
The above mentioned certificates have to be handed in with your application!
After being admitted without the C1 language level, we exclusively accept the EPD certificate - it is no longer possible to hand in a German certificate on C1 level (ÖSD, DSD, DSH, Goethe).
More Information about the enrollment process with supplementary examinations (including the EPD) can be found here.
A few study programmes are offered in English. For those programmes, no German C1 language certificate is required but a sufficient English language certificate.
We accept the following English Certificates:
- TOEFL iBT (score of at least 95) or
- IELTS Academic (score of at least 7) or
- Cambridge Proficiency English CPE or
- Cambridge Advanced English CAE (score of at least 180/ Grade C or better) or
- Secundary school leaving certificate from abroad with English as language of instruction on Matura Level or
- A completed study programme exclusively taught in English
The certificates/diplomas 1 - 4 must not be older than 2 years.
A list of study programmes that are offered in English can be found here.
Some International Joint Master Programmes are offered in English as well. More information can be found here: www.jointdegree.eu
If you apply for a study programme not offered in English, the application will automatically be processed with German as language of instruction and a German language certificate must be handed in.
If the study programme is offered in German and English, but you do not clearly state on the application form that English is the preferred language of instruction, German will be considered as language of instruction and a German language certificate must be handed in.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 9 am - 12 pm
Wednesday 2 pm - 4 pm
(Wednesdays is closed during semester breaks and days when courses and exams are not being held)