An admission to a doctorate programme is possible also outside of the admission period. However, not all Master-, Teacher Training- or Diploma degrees automatically entitle their holder to register for a doctoral programme at the University of Graz.
The curriculum of the intended doctoral programme provides information as to which previous programme is consecutive and therefore enables a direct admission. If you have any queries, please contact the Academic Affairs office.
For doctorate studies at the URBI, NAWI, THEOL faculty as well as for the interdisciplinary Doctorate School Teaching Methodology, an additional form with all required signatures has to be provided together with the application.
International students as well as Austrian students who gained their degree abroad always have to hand in an application for admission. More information for international applications as well as the application form can be found here.
Should your completed programme not authorise direct admission, we have to evaluate whether it is a subject-related programme that entitles you to commence the doctoral programme of your choice or not.
To do so, you have to apply for admission to the doctoral programme.
Please submit the following documents:
- Degree diploma (e.g.diploma, master's degree diploma)
- Proof of passed exams (e.g.proof of success, Transcript of Records, Diploma Supplement, list of exams and their content)
- Abstract of master's thesis (summary of the thesis)
Depending on the faculty, additional documents,such as a supervision agreement, have to be handed in:
- Doctoral programme Environmental and Regional Sciences and Education: „Advance-Agreement Supervision" of the relevant doctoral school
- Doctoral programme NAWI:
- Doctoral programme SOWI (Social and Economic Sciences):
- Table of Contents and Bibliography of diploma thesis or master's thesis should "compulsory elective course" be stated in your transcript of records: Certificate stating title and type of course
- Interdisciplinary doctoral programme Teaching Methodology Form: „Advance Agreement“
- Doctorate Theology: Form "Vorabeinigung Dr. theol."
We advice to hand in the application personally during our opening hours. Please bring the necessary original documents as well as copies of those documents. The originals will be processed and handed back to you. The documents have to be handed in in German or in English.
If you have further subject-relevant exams of additional studies, please hand them in as well. They can be considered for the content evaluation.
If the formal requirements are met, your application will be forwarded to the responsible Curricula Commission (CUKO) in order to be valuated content wise. Based on the documents you handed in, the following decisions are possible:
A) Direct admission
B) Admission with additional courses
C) No admission
If A) is the case, you will be informed per email that an enrolment is possible.
If B) or C) is the case, a legal process will be opened. You receive a so-called Parteiengehör (letter with information) per registered post. You have the possibility to make a statement within 2 weeks of receiving the Parteiengehör. If you do not make a statement, you will receive a Bescheid (notice) only after the two weeks have passed. The Bescheid is necessary for the enrolment if additional courses (B) are required.
In case a legal process (B and C) is necessary, the admission process can take between 10 to 12 weeks. Please consider this when you apply.
Monday: 9:00a.m. - 12:00p.m.
Tuesday: 9:00a.m. - 12:00p.m.
2:00p.m. - 4:00p.m.*
Thursday: 9:00a.m. - 12:00p.m.
Friday: 9:00a.m. - 12:00p.m.
*Closed on Wednesdays during semester breaks as well as days free of classes and exams.